Clean Desk = Happy, Healthy and Productive
January is a great month for setting the tone for the rest of the year. One of the best ways to keep yourself healthy and productive is to ensure your workspace is clean and decluttered. A clean desk encourages better focus and slows the spread of germs.
Untidy desks can leave you open to more than just the threat of germs. Hunting for missing items amid stacks of papers can be a big time-waster and can make you feel frustrated and unmotivated. Are you in a position that deals with sensitive information such as HR, Management, Financial, etc. A messy desk makes it easy to misplace or have that information fall into the wrong hands.
Some facts about workspaces:
- An office keyboard can have up to 7,500 bacteria. 57% of people admit they judge coworkers with dirty desk spaces.
- Viruses like the cold and flu can stay on your desk for 24 hours. Be sure to do a quick disinfectant daily especially during this season where many people are spreading germs.
- Focus improves greatly for people with clean desks. An average of 8 minutes per hour of better focus for those with clean workspaces.
Here are a few tips to get and keep that workspace clean all year long so you can have a healthy and productive 2020:
- Make a one-time effort to completely clear off your desk (don’t worry you won’t need to do this again).
- Separate items into one of 3 piles – Trash – Keep – Process
- First take the items that are obvious keepers (stapler, photos, décor, etc)
- Next file through everything that is not trash. Deal with any item that comes up that can be completed in 2 minutes or less (that paper you need to file, the email you printed out, etc)
- Get rid of trash
- Clean and dust surface of desk and any items that are returning
- ENJOY that sense of accomplishment and the great feeling.
Developing a routine to keep the space clean will keep it looking its best and your productivity at a high level all year round. Most people find 5 Minutes at the end of everyday to quickly clear your desk manageable and helpful in setting a good tone for the following day